Patents in Malaysia are governed under the Patents Act 1983. Patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem.
- New and Novel Invention (in the world);
- Involves inventive steps, and is industrially applicable;
- Not disclosed to the public in Malaysia or anywhere in the world.
- Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods
- Plant or animal varieties or essentially biological processes for the production of plants or animals, other than man-made living micro-organisms, micro-biological processes and the products of such micro-organism processes
- Business schemes, rules or methods, performing purely mental acts or playing games
- Methods for treatment on human or animals by surgery or therapy, and diagnostic methods practiced on human or animal (except products used for this purpose)
- Contrary to National Interest or Security
- Maximum of twenty(20) years from date of filing